Utility Billing FAQs

Where do I pay bills?
The water department is located in Clifton City Hall at 403 West Third Street. Office hours are 8:30am - 4:30pm M-F. We're here sooner, but we have to wait for the bank to open to get cash for change every day.

How can I pay my water bill?
The City of Clifton accepts payment by cash, check, cashier's check, money order, or electronic automatic-draft bill payment.

We also accept Visa, MasterCard & Discover, however there is a service fee (of approx. $3)

You can pay inside or at the drive-up window on the west side of the City Hall M-F 8:30am-4:30pm. We have a night drop slot available 24 -hours a day located under the drive-up window.

With electronic bill payment, our bank sends the bill to your bank and your bank replies with the payment. You still get a monthly bill for your records, but you don't have to write a check or come by to drop it off.

What do I do if I have a leak or stopped-up-sewer?
The city's responsibility for water leaks begins at the point your line attaches to the meter. You will need a plumber for leaks that occur from that point into the house or business.

WATER METERS BELONG TO THE CITY OF CLIFTON AND CITY EMPLOYEES ARE THE ONLY ONES AUTHORIZED TO OPEN THE BOX AND SHUT OFF THE WATER, if you need to have water cut off or on call City Hall at 254-675-8337 or after hours call 245-386-6374

If the leak caused your bill to go up substantially higher than normal, bring your repair receipt to City Hall to discuss a billing adjustment.

The city's responsibility for a sewer stoppage begins at the point your line attaches to the main line. You will need a plumber for stoppages or leaks that occur from that point into the house or business.

Why would my water bill be much higher than usual?
The two biggest reasons are outdoor watering and leaks - a leaky toilet or hole in the line as small as a thin pencil lead can waste over 5,000 gallons in a month!

How can I check for a slow leak?
Call the City at 675-8337 and request a free read service to check for leaks.

How do I get the water service turned on?
Initiating service or changing the name on an existing account requires:

  1. Driver’s License or valid picture ID
  2. completed application
  3. $150.00 deposit (cash, check or money order ONLY)
  4. If you rent or lease the property, you must bring a copy of your signed rental/lease agreement.

When do I get my deposit back?
The deposit will be deducted from your final bill.

Are there any water restrictions?
To conserve water lost to evaporation in the heat of the day, between May 15th and September 15th, please water between 8:00 PM and 9:00 AM. Any mandatory restrictions will be posted at City Hall.

How are my sewer rates set?
Sewer rates are based on average water consumption in winter months when lawn watering won't affect the number.

Where is my water meter located?
Most often the meter is located in the front of the house or in an alley behind it. It'll be covered with a black round or rectangular lid.

How often is my meter read?
All meters are read on a monthly basis. Most residential accounts are now equipped with a Smart Meters allowing residents to log into eyeonwater.com anytime to see their usage, however please keep the access clear so the meter is accessible.

Here are some helpful tips for making sure that your water meter is accessible:

  • Trim bushes, trees and grass that block the way to or cover the water meter.
  • Please make sure nothing blocks access to the meter box - like cars, trailers, garbage cans, construction equipment or supplies, and landscape bark or gravel.
  • If your meter is located behind a gate that is normally kept locked, please contact us at 675-8337 to arrange access.
  • Please remember your meter is located in the City's right of way and if repairs are needed the City is not held responsible for replacing or repairing any private property located in the right of way.
  • Please ensure your house address is clearly displayed on your residence. This will not only assist the meter reader but helps emergency personnel as well.